I Seminar of the Maritime Work Watch Research Network: Overview of Current Issues and future challenges in Maritime Labour Law
Bilbao, 13th September 2016
Invites to all maritime labour law researchers to participate in this International Seminar which will take place at Bilbao (Spain) next 13th September.
Our goal is to advance research in maritime labour law, and specificallly to facilitate the dissemination of research work and encourage open discussion of scholarship and ideas in this particular field.
The Network is open to all scholars interested in the study of maritime labour law, defined broadly, including all aspects of social and working conditions of seafarers, fishermen, but also workers on maritime offshore platforms, yatching and port services.
All maritime labour law scholars are welcome to join.
- 9.30h Welcome and opening of the Conference by Ms. Almudena Ruíz Angulo del Campo (Basque Country Government Director of Transport and Infrastructure).
- 10.00h Conference and MWW Research Network presentation by Olga Fotinopoulou.
FIRST PANEL. SEAFARERS’ MARITIME LABOUR LAW ISSUES
MODERATOR: Olga Fotinopoulou (Senior Lecturer of Labour and Social security Law at the University of the Basque Country).
- 10.30 - 10.50 "Some introductory remarks about the current and future challenges of Seafarers’ working and living conditions" by Patrick Chaumette (Prof. of University of Nantes and Human Sea ERC-Advanced Grant Project coordinator).
- 10.50 - 11.10h "The Maritime Labour Convention, 2006, ILO: it’s origins, evolution and latest amendments" by Cleopatra Doumbia-Henry (President of World Maritime University).
- 11.10 - 11.30h "The international collective bargaining and industrial actions in the maritime transport sector" by Olga Fotinopoulou Basurko (Senior Lecturer of Labour and Social security Law at UPV/EHU)
- 11.30 - 12.00h Coffee break
SECOND PANEL. FISHERMEN LABOUR RELATIONS IN A GLOBALIZED WORLD
MODERATOR: Xosé Manuel Carril Vázquez (Senior Lecturer of Labour and Social security Law at the University of A Coruña).
- 12.00 - 12.20h "The ILO’s Fishing Convention 2007: something new?" by Alexandre Charbonneau (Senior Lecturer of Labour Law at Comptrasec research institute. University of Bordeaux).
- 12.20 - 12.40h "IUU Fishing and Labour law rights of Fishermen in International Law" by Fabrizio de Pascale (UILApesca) and Amir Marashi (International Advisor and co-author of IUU Fishing and Decent Work report.
- 12.40 - 13.00h "The ITF’s role and policies in fishermen protection" by Luz Baz Abella (Graduated in Law, Graduated in Navigation Studies and ITF’s Inspector at Galicia/Asturias territories-Spain).
- 13.00 - 14.00h Discussion
- 14.00 - 16.00h Lunch
THIRD PANEL. OFFSHORE PLATFORM WORKERS, YATCHING AND DOCKERS
MODERATOR: Arantzazu Vicente Palacio (Prof. of Labour and Social Security Law of the University Jaume I of Castellón).
- 16.00 - 16.20h "The labour and social security legal framework of workers on offshore platforms" by Xosé Manuel Carril Vázquez and Asunción López Arranz (Senior Lecturer and Assistant Professor of Labour and Social Security Law at the University of A Coruña).
- 16.20 - 16.40h "The impact of ECJ’s case Law in dockers’ living and working conditions: a way to liberalise port services?" by Inmaculada Ballester Pastor (Senior Lecturer-Professor acredited of Labour and Social security Law at the University of Jaume I Castellón).
- 16.40 - 17.00h "Which regulation for workers in yatching?" by François Mandin (Senior Lecturer of Labour and Social Security Law at the University of Nantes).
- 17.00 - 17.30h Coffee break
- 17.30 - 18.30h Young Researchers papers presentations (The three best works selected by the seminar academic committe will be presented in the seminar).
I Seminar MWW (pdf, 921 Kb)