IX European Colloquium of Maritime Law Research 2016
Bilbao, 14-15th September 2016
Wednesday 14 September 2016
- 08.30-9.00 Registration
- 09.00-09.10 Welcome and opening
Ana Oregi Bastarrika, Deputy Minister for Environment and Territorial Planning of of the Basque Country Government
- 09.10-09.40 Prof. Paul Myburgh,
Deputy Director. Centre for Maritime Law. National University of Singapore
"Private Direct Arrangements in the Context of Judicial Vessel Sales"
- 09.40-11.25 Session A: MARITIME LIENS
Chair: Prof. Mikis Tsimplis, University of Southampton
- 09.40-09.55 Prof. Rhidian Thomas, University of Swansea
"Legal and Contractual Liens – Dimensions of Meaning"
- 09.55-10.10 Prof. Francesca Pellegrino, University of Messina
"Maritime Liens and Mortgages Convention 1993"
- 10.10-10.25 José María Alcántara, Ex-President Spanish Maritime Law Association. Arbitrator
"Maritime Liens in the Geneva Convention and their perspective under the new Spanish Navigation Act"
- 10.25-10.40 Dr. Melis Özdel, Director, UCL Centre for Commercial Law
"The proprietary Aspects of Electronics Bills of Lading"
- 10.40-10.55 Prof. Filippo Lorenzon and Mr. Richard Coles, University of Southampton
"The financing of Superyachts after 2008 Financial Crisis"
- 10.55-11.20 Discussion
- 11.20-11.50 Coffee Break
- 11.50-13.15 Session B: INSOLVENCY AND ARREST OF SHIPS
Chair: Prof. Erik Røsæg, Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law. University of Oslo
- 11.50-12.05 Prof. Andrew Tettenborn, University of Swansea
"International Insolvency and the Arrest of Ships"
12.05-12.20 Ass. Prof. José Manuel Martín Osante, University of the Basque Country
"Arrest of Ships: Geneva Convention 1999 and Lex fori, in particular, the Spanish Law"
- 12.20-12.35 Dr. Federico Franchina, University of Messina
"Maritime Lien and Shipping Insolvency"
- 12.35-12.50 Tjaša Zapušek, University of Maribor
"Fishing Permits as an Appurtenances of the Offending Vessel"
- 12.50-13.10 Discussion
- 13.10-15.10 Lunch Break
- 15.10-17.10 Session C: MARITIME LABOUR LAW
Chair: Prof. Patrick CHAUMETTE, University of Nantes
- 15.10-15.25 Ass. Prof Xosé Manuel Carril Vázquez, University of A Coruña
"The private or public assurance and seafarers’ wages protection"
- 15.25-15.40 Prof. Arantzazu Vicente Palacio, University Jaume I of Castellón
"The PSC and the last MLC 2006 amendments to protect seafarers in case of abandonment"
- 15.40-15.55 Ass. Prof. Laura Carballo Piñeiro, University of Santiago de Compostela
"Worker Protection in International Insolvency Law: the Limited Role of Maritime Liens"
- 15.55-16.10 Ass. Prof. Olga Fotinopoulou Basurko, University of the Basque Country
"The wage guarantee funds and Directive 2008/94/EC, of 22 October 2008 on the protection of employees in the event of the insolvency of their employer: Some remarks on ECJ 25 February 2016, Case 292/14, Elliniko Dimosio v Stefanos Stroumpoulis"
- 16.10-16.35 Discussion
- 16.35-17.00 Coffee Break
- 17.00-18.40 Session D: MORTGAGES
Chair: Prof. Rhidian Thomas, University of Swansea
- 17.00-17.15 Aniekan Akpan, City University London
"The Nature of Maritime Mortgage from a Maritime Cabotage Perspective"
- 17.15-17.30 Ass. Prof. Wouter Verheyen, Erasmus University Rotterdam
"Mortgages and forced sales of sister ships, how for does the information duty of the assured go?"
- 17.30-17.45 Dr. Zuzanna Pepłowska, Dąbrowska, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń
Dr. Justyna Nawrot, University of Gdańsk
"Mortgage, maritime hypothecation or pledge? Real rights on ships within the work of the Polish Maritime Law Codification Committee"
- 17.45-18.00 Vincenzo Battistella, University of Bologna
"Ship mortgage: the Italian perspective"
- 18.00-18.15 Prof. Erik Røsæg, Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law. University of Oslo
"Appurtenances and the Mortgage on the Vessel"
- 18.15-18.40 Discussion
- 21.00 Dinner
Thursday 15 September 2016
- 09.10-10.45 Session E: SECURITIES
Chair: Mr. Richard Coles, University of Southampton
- 09.10-09.25 Prof. Alberto Emparanza, University of the Basque Country
"The Right of Retention as Maritime Security"
- 09.25-09.40 Ass. Prof. Kristina Siig, University of Southern Denmark
"Danish rules on securities and other protective rights in the charterparty trade – an appraisal"
- 09.40-09.55 Jia Shengnan, City University London
"Contractual Security Remedies in Charterparties: The Seemingly Unproblematic Notion of «Lien» in Common Law and Civil Law Perspective"
- 09.55-10.10 Lijun Zhao, Middlesex University School of Law
"Survey on Uniformity of Seaborne Cargo Conventions: The Scope of Application"
- 10.10-10.25 Dr. Simone Lamont-Black, University of Edinburgh
"The Carrier’s Lien: English and German Law"
- 10.25-10.50 Discussion
- 10.50-11.15 Coffee break
- 11.15-13.00 Session F: MARITIME LIENS, MORTGAGES AND FORCED SALE: JURISDICTION AND APPLICABLE LAW
Chair: Ass. Prof. Kristina Siig, University of Southern Denmark
- 11.15-11.30 Dr. Christina Zournatzi, Advocate, PhD (Bologna), LLM (IHU)
"The Draft Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judicial Sales of Ships"
- 11.30-11.45 Prof. em. Thor Falkanger, Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law. University of Oslo
"Is a Shipping Protocol to the Cape Town Convention a Good Idea?"
- 11.45-12.00 Dr. Tobias Eckardt, Ahlers & Vogel Rechtsanwälte PartG mbB
" Maritime Liens created by the charterer in how far can the charterer's choice of law be of consequence for the owner?"
- 12.00-12.15 Jonatan Echebarria Fernández, Copenhagen Business School
" The party autonomy and the arrest of ships from a comparative perspective"
- 12.15-12.30 Dr. Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm, University of Edinburgh
"Maritime Liens in the Conflict of Laws Revisited"
- 12.30-12.45 Ass. Prof. Manuel Alba Fernández, University Carlos III, Madrid
"Harmony and harmonization in cross-border insolvency and security interests on vessels"
- 12.45-13.00 Discussion
- 13.00-13.30 CLOSING CONFERENCE
Prof. Stefano Zunarelli, University of Bologna
"Maritime liens: present and future"
- 13.30 Closing
Antonio Aiz Salazar, Deputy Minister for Transports of the Basque Country Government
Programme (pdf, 1,25 Mb)